|Come back for Homecoming 2017!
Homecoming at UW-Eau Claire is just around the corner! Plan now to be a part of the biggest alumni bash of the year:
• Friday, Sept. 29: Golden Blugolds, Hall of Fame and more
Check out all the Homecoming events on Friday, Sept. 29. Join us as we pack in the Blugold fun!
• Saturday, Sept. 30: Parade, Blugold football, reunions
The Homecoming action continues all day Saturday, Sept. 30. Take in several appearances by the amazing Blugold Marching Band; the parade; festivities in Carson Park before, during and after the football game; and more. See all Saturday events.
|Plans announced for new University Welcome Center
The welcome mat will be rolled out in an even bigger way for UW-Eau Claire prospective students, alumni and other campus visitors when a new University Welcome Center opens in 2020.
UW-Eau Claire news roundup
UW-Eau Claire again ranks in top 5 on U.S. News best-in-Midwest list
The power of social: Blugold grad takes social media to education
- Blugold business and chemistry graduate Andrea Gribble found herself needing to forge a new career path, and she chose to create a company that helps K-12 schools and districts harness the power of social media.
Towers renovation project now underway
- Work has begun on the renovation of Towers Hall, the largest residence hall on campus. Exterior renovations and extensive interior remodeling are planned during the project that isscheduled to be completed by fall 2019.
Want more UW-Eau Claire news?
For more of what's new at UW-Eau Claire, check our Blugold Briefing page anytime: www.uwec.edu/news
- Let's Do Lunch! Sept. 27, noon-1 p.m. Join the Alumni Association for a presentation titled "Mapping with Drones: The Hidden Truths and Beyond" by Dr. Joseph Hupy, UW-Eau Claire associate professor of geography, and Peter Menet, president and CEO of Milwaukee-based Menet Aero. Tickets are $15 per session, which includes a lunch buffet, beverage, tax and tip. Eau Claire Golf and Country Club, 828 Clubview Lane, Altoona. Reservations are requested.
- UW-Eau Claire Athletics Blugold Hall of Fame Banquet. Sept. 29. Social at 4:30 p.m., dinner at 5:30 p.m. and program following. Dakota Ballroom, Davies Center. Learn more about the 2017 inductees and register online.
- Homecoming 2017. Sept. 29-30. Get all the details!
- Golden Blugolds Celebration. Sept. 29-30. Join Blugold alumni who graduated in 1967 or before for a special weekend on campus. Register here.
- Greek Alumni Weekend. Sept. 29-Oct. 1. Enjoy a weekend celebrating your alma mater while connecting with fellow Greek alumni. The weekend is designed to include all alumni (and guests) with a variety of events. Get all the details here!
- Nursing Alumni Homecoming Walk. 8 a.m., Nursing Building. More details.
- Blugold Soccer Alumni Game and Gathering. Sept. 30. Blugold soccer game, noon, Bollinger Fields. Alumni gathering after the game. Mogie's Pub, 2-5 p.m. More details.
- Volleyball Alumni Day. Sept. 30. Alumni game, 10 a.m., McPhee. Blugold match, 6 p.m., McPhee. Evening alumni gathering in Eau Claire. More details.
- Blugold Alumni Gathering in Uganda, Africa. Jan. 18-20, 2018. A special UW-Eau Claire alumni gathering is planned in Entebbe and Kampala, Uganda. Mary Hilfiker '67 and Samson Gimui '09, will host the event, which will include a weekend of conversation and activity as well as an opportunity to join a safari from Jan. 21-30. If you are interested in participating in the alumni event or safari, please contact Mary Hilfiker at email@example.com or 651-224-7947 no later than Oct. 1. Other questions? Contact Jane Larson in the alumni office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Blugold Swimming and Diving Alumni Event. Oct. 7. Alumni meet, 10 a.m., McPhee. More information available soon!
See more Alumni Association events and universitywide events.
Alumni success stories
Read some of the latest stories featuring accomplishments by UW-Eau Claire alumni:
Adam Condit '05, a UW-Eau Claire mathematics and physics graduate, and Alicia Condit '06, a communication graduate — both former Blugold cross country runners — are launching a new running specialty store, Blue Ox Running, which will open in Eau Claire in October. Full story.
Cheryl Dresen '85, a UW-Eau Claire social work graduate, recently was selected to join the Expert Network, an invitation-only service for distinguished professionals. Full story.
Stacey Everson '94, a UW-Eau Claire psychology graduate, is the new director of secondary education for the La Crosse School District. Full story.
Grace Fechner '13, a UW-Eau Claire art graduate, currently has her work featured in a solo exhibit titled "Show and Tell," which runs through Oct. 28 at the Volume One Gallery in downtown Eau Claire. Full story.
Steven Haines '91, a UW-Eau Claire French graduate, is the new CEO of The Young Americans organization. Full story.
Brandon Luedke '17, a UW-Eau Claire kinesiology graduate and former Blugold football player, was one of 100 athletes invited to participate in the U.S. Olympic Committee's production "Scouting Camp: The Next Olympic Hopeful," which aired Aug. 24 on NBCSN. Full story.
Russell Mikkelson '83, a UW-Eau Claire music education graduate and professor at The Ohio State University School of Music, is the new music director for the Newark-Granville Symphony Orchestra. Full story.
Shaughnessy Murphy '06, a UW-Eau Claire economics and business finance graduate, has been appointed to serve as a judge on the Eau Claire County Circuit Court, Branch 5. Full story.
Terry O'Donahue '91, a UW-Eau Claire journalism graduate, recently won two awards in the Minneapolis Veterans Affairs'Creative Arts Competition. Full story.
Maria Ploessl '08, a UW-Eau Claire Spanish and Latin American studies graduate, has been named executive director of Minnestar. Full story.
Danielle Podein '16, a UW-Eau Claire health care administration graduate, is the assistant administrator at St. John's Lutheran Community in Albert Lea, Minnesota. Full story.
John Raymond '09, a UW-Eau Claire music graduate, and his band Real Feels recently performed at Vieux Carre' in St. Paul. Full story.
Mark Rice '78, a UW-Eau Claire chemistry graduate and a professor of anesthesiology at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, recently was profiled in a Vanderbilt University news release. Full story.
Aaron Stamm '99, a UW-Eau Claire organizational communication graduate, has joined Acuity Insurance as a mercantile business segment specialist. Full story.
Paige Turner '16, a UW-Eau Claire kinesiology graduate and former Blugold women's hockey goalie, has joined the Northland Women's Hockey Team as an Assistant Women's Hockey Coach. Full story.
Greg Voeller '88, a UW-Eau Claire journalism graduate, recently joined Gagen MacDonald as a senior consultant. Full story.
Show how much you know about UW-Eau Claire — AND win great Blugold prizes! Email your answer to this month's question to the Blugold Trivia mailbox (email@example.com). Those sending correct responses to this month's question will be entered into a drawing for a UW-Eau Claire insulated mug. The name of this month's Blugold Trivia winner will be published in the October issue of eView.
September Blugold Trivia question:
How many campus visitors annually will have a new campus entry point when the new University Welcome Center opens in 2020?
Know the answer? Email it, along with your name and class year, to firstname.lastname@example.org. You'll be notified by email if you are this month's winner!
Congratulations to Julie Kosikowski Wipperfurth '83 (BA), '84 (MS), a UW-Eau Claire communicative disorders graduate and winner of the August Blugold Trivia prize. Julie's name was drawn from among those who correctly answered that Dr. April Bleske-Rechek was UW-Eau Claire's nominee for the 2017 UW System Board of Regents Excellence in Teaching Award.