Site Feedback

Garfield Avenue project affects travel on lower campus. The project is expected to be completed in fall 2018. Please allow extra time when traveling to see us!

Learn More


Tuition + Fees

The annual cost to attend UW-Eau Claire includes tuition, fees, housing and dining. We offer reciprocity for Minnesota students and participate in the Midwest Student Exchange Program (reduced tuition for students from Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, or Ohio). If you are a child or grandchild of an UWEC alumni who lives outside of Wisconsin or Minnesota we have the Return to Wisconsin program -- a 25% discount on nonresident tuition.

2018-19 estimated Undergraduate Tuition/Fees and Room/Meals (2 semesters)
WI Resident MN Resident MSEP Return to WI
Tuition/fees* $8,900.00 $8,900.00 $12,000.00 $13,500.00 $17,100.00
Room** $4,700.00 $4,700.00 $4,700.00 $4,700.00 $4,700.00
Meals*** $2,900.00 $2,900.00 $2,900.00 $2,900.00 $2,900.00
TOTAL $16,500.00 $16,500.00 $19,600.00 $21,100.00 $24,700.00

* Textbook rental fees included.
** Based on double occupancy.
*** Based on average cost of meal plans.
For detailed meal plans visit

Minnesota students may take
advantage of their state's tuition
reciprocity agreement with
Wisconsin and attend UW-Eau Claire
for approximately the same price
they would pay at a Minnesota institution. 1-800-657-3866

The Midwest Student Exchange
provides nonresidents from
IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NE, ND, OH (effective Fall 2018) a special reduced tuition rate equal to 150
percent of Wisconsin resident tuition.
MSEP supersedes Return to Wisconsin
for students who qualify for both.
(Excludes Nursing program.) 

Return to Wisconsin is an initiative
giving children and grandchildren of
UW-Eau Claire alumni who
live outside of Wisconsin and
Minnesota a 25 percent discount on
nonresident tuition.

Wisconsin Residency

In determining resident status for tuition purposes, different standards are used than those which may be used for voting, paying taxes, etc. View Wisconsin Residency Requirements


Wisconsin Residency Information for Tuition Purposes


How is residency for tuition purposes established or determined?

Wisconsin Statutes, Section 36.27(2), govern resident status for tuition purposes. If you do not qualify as a Wisconsin resident, you must pay full nonresident tuition. In determining resident status for tuition purposes, different standards are used than those which may be used for voting, paying taxes, etc. Individuals who come to Wisconsin primarily for educational purposes do not automatically qualify as Wisconsin residents for tuition purposes even after living in Wisconsin a year or more. In general, you must be a bona fide resident of Wisconsin for at least 12 months prior to enrollment to be eligible for in-state tuition, but there are some exceptions:  

  1. If you graduated from a Wisconsin high school and your parents have lived continuously in Wisconsin during the 12 months prior to your enrollment, you may qualify as a Wisconsin resident.   
  2. If one of your parents lives in Wisconsin and you are a tax dependent of one of your parents, you may be able to pay fees and tuition at the resident rate.   
  3. If you are a refugee who came to Wisconsin immediately upon entering the United States, you may be able to pay fees and tuition at the resident rate. You may also qualify to pay at the resident rate if you are a member of the Armed Forces stationed in Wisconsin, a migrant worker who has worked in Wisconsin annually or the spouse or child of a person in one of these categories. Contact the Admissions Office at (715) 836-5415 or for further explanation.   
  4. If you, your spouse, or someone who claims you as a federal tax dependent moved to Wisconsin within the last 12 months to begin full-time employment in Wisconsin, or plans to do so before the beginning of the term for which you are applying, you may be eligible to pay resident fees. The full-time employment must be accepted before an application for admission is filed.

How can I prove Wisconsin residency?

In determining your bona fide residence at the beginning of a semester and for the preceding 12 months, your intent to establish and maintain a permanent home in Wisconsin is determinative.

You may demonstrate or disprove intent through factors such as the timely filing of Wisconsin income tax returns of a type that only full-year Wisconsin residents may file, representations you make, voter registration in Wisconsin, motor vehicle registration in Wisconsin, possession of a Wisconsin driver's license, place of employment, self-support, involvement in community activities in Wisconsin, and your physical presence in Wisconsin for at least the 12 months immediately prior to beginning university classes.

If I believe my classification as a nonresident is incorrect, what can I do?

You may contact the UW-Eau Claire Admissions Office at or (715) 836-5415, for interpretation and further information about residency appeals.

If I enroll at UW-Eau Claire as a nonresident, can I be considered a resident after one year in school?

Generally no. If you entered Wisconsin from out-of-state and remain in the state principally to obtain an education, it is presumed that you continue to reside outside the state and you will continue to be classified as a nonresident. If you believe you qualify for Wisconsin residency, you can complete an appeal form available through the Admissions Office to request that your residency classification be changed to "resident." Basically, you must prove with clear and convincing evidence that you have made Wisconsin your permanent home, that Wisconsin has been your permanent home for at least the 12-month period prior to your enrollment, and that you are not in Wisconsin primarily for educational purposes.

How can I learn more about the laws governing Wisconsin residency?

The UW-Eau Claire Admissions Office can provide you with detailed information about residency. You may also view a complete overview regarding the determination of residency for University of Wisconsin System campuses:


Wisconsin/Minnesota Reciprocity

The current reciprocity agreement between Minnesota and Wisconsin enables a Minnesota resident to attend Wisconsin public institutions of higher education at rates approximating tuition prevailing in the Minnesota State University System. Those wishing to take advantage of this tuition remission must apply well in advance of their initial enrollment at a Wisconsin System institution. Approval covers the full year (including summer sessions) and is automatically renewed each year for the campus initially approved. You may apply online with the Online Tuition Reciprocity Application or, if you have additional questions about reciprocity, contact the Minnesota Office of Higher Education at (800) 657-3866.

Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP)

You can earn your degree and find your passions at UW-Eau Claire, all while enjoying a tuition discount through the Midwest Student Exchange Program. Students from participating states are offered 150% of the cost of an in-state student through MSEP. To be eligible for the MSEP program, students must be a legal resident of Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, or Ohio (effective Fall 2018). Learn more about MSEP.

Return to Wisconsin

This program provides discounted out-of-state tuition rates for children and grandchildren of UW-Eau Claire alumni. Learn more.

Blugold Alumni Tuition Discount

If you completed your bachelor's degree at UW-Eau Claire in four years or less and graduated in May 2016 or later, you may be eligible to take undergraduate courses at a discounted rate. Learn more.

Graduate Tuition

Interested in going to graduate school at UW-Eau Claire? We offer a range of graduate programs at an affordable price. View the current price per credit by clicking the button below.

See graduate tuition costs

What assistance can help me pay for college?

There are a number of ways we can help cover a portion of your tuition costs. Learn about the different financial aid options at UW-Eau Claire. 

How to pay for college

Contact Us
Name is required.
An email address is required.

Thanks for your interest in UW-Eau Claire. Let's get started!

Select a student category below for admission guidelines, important deadlines and instructions.

NOTE: To complete your application to UW-Eau Claire you will be taken off of this website to access the UW System online admission application.

If you want to apply for employment, please click here.